As I was leafing through a Lands’ End catalogue, one of those annoying ad cards fell into my lap. You know the kind – get our latest catalog, extend your subscription, what a great deal card.
On its way to the trash can I noticed, “Do you have what it takes to sail the 333 miles from Chicago to the northern tip of Lake Michigan?” Wait a minute. Of course I do. “Enter to win a spot onboard!” Let’s see, what’s the catch? Write an essay up to 500 words and tell us your desire to sail the “Thrill of the Mac.” Your essay will be judged on your passion to participate in the race, written composition, and sailing experience, if any.
Crap, I’m screwed!
It doesn’t matter that this would be a thrill of a life time, a fantastic experience and a real chance to make a dream come true. Do I see myself at the wheel of the brand new, 38 foot C&C 115 race sailboat? Can I feel, smell and taste the action of the Great Lakes? Can I picture myself with the winner’s cup in hand on top of my teammates shoulders?
No.
All I can think of is the miserable time I would spend writing the essay and how I wouldn’t win. As you can see, writing isn’t my strong suit. Wait a minute, this is all wrong.
How can I be a winner unless I picture myself a winner? When presented a problem, I must visualize the solution. Even though it maybe just the feeling of solution. If not, why even start. I must see the solution in my mind and then I must ask myself, “What must happen to make it so.” I must perform the arduous task of the solution with the ultimate result in mind. Concentrating on the result and seeing its picture will make my task possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment