Thursday, September 30, 2010

Meaning of “Done By”

Okay, everyone has heard, used or knows of the term “done by”. Hey Bob, I need that done by the 15th. Mary, I want that done by the end of the month. Have that done by the morning. On and on and on.

Let’s take a look at the time span of “done by’”. How much space is there between the “d” and the “y”? For instance, what does done by the 15th mean. It can be morning to midnight. A done by without specific time leads to confusion. The procrastinator will wait until midnight and call it good. The eager beaver will want it by 8:00am. You put the two together and you have the formula for poor performance.

Better communication would lend itself to, “I want that done by 8:00 am and on my desk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment